Final Product What You'll Be Creating
When a challenge was issued by Adobe to the beta testers of Photoshop CS5, we were asked to push Photoshop through a heavy work load and produce something interesting. There were five subjects under which to enter, and this piece took first in “Intelligent Selection Technology.” In today’s tutorial, I’ll be walking you through the whole process of shooting and post-processing this composition.
Didn’t hear about Photo Premium? You can find out more here. It’s an additional, in-depth article, published each week just for our Premium subscribers (on top of all our regular free content!)
This tutorial walks you through a series of steps, right from thinking about composition and the scene, through to putting the finishing touches in Photoshop. You’ll learn:
- Photograph the Series – Camera set up, environmental conditions, and placement are key to this type of work. You want a scenario where the wind is not gusting, the sky is overcast (as shadows don’t play well together here), and you really don’t want to see a thick cloud in the sky. We’ll walk you through the correct camera settings, and considerations you need to take into account.
- Checking Continuity – We’ll perform some basic editing, to ensure that each image has the same exposure, white balance, and general “feel”.
- Stacking the Images – This section walks you through the process of merging the images together, so that we’re able to work on this as a single piece and start blending the photographs together.
- Masking – This is the particularly interesting step, where we take you through the process of using masks to merge the relevant parts of each photo together and create a multiple composition.
- Setting the Mood – In this final step, we put the finishing touches to the post-processing by adjusting various settings and changing the lighting effect in the photograph.
Here are a few example images, taken straight from the tutorial:
Join Premium and Expand Your Photography Knowledge!
This full tutorial is available to all our Photo Premium subscribers, and is a great way to try out a brand new photography and post-processing technique. Everything is clearly explained, and displayed in an easy-to-follow fashion.
For those unfamiliar, the family of Tuts+ sites runs a premium membership service. For $19 per month, you gain access to exclusive premium tutorials, screencasts, and freebies from Phototuts+, Nettuts+, Psdtuts+, Cgtuts+, Activetuts+, Aetuts+, Audiotuts+, and Vectortuts+! For the price of a pizza, you’ll learn from some of the best minds in the business.
What Do You Want to See on Premium?
Is there a specific technical aspect of photography that you really want to learn more about? How about a very advanced technique that you could never quite grasp fully?
We really want to make our Premium content as relevant and useful to you as possible, so do send through your comments and requests to firstname.lastname@example.org. Let us know what you want to see, and we’ll commission top-notch photographers to teach you!